Saturday, June 14, 2014

My 2nd Pet Peeve

Rebecca Dutton
Home After a Stroke
June 8, 2014

To read about my first pet peeve click here.  My second pet peeve is long-handled reachers.

Long-handled reachers are a pain because the long handle puts objects far from the hand, which makes objects extra heavy.  The long handle also means you have to pull your arm way back to deposit the object close to you.  When I purchased a new washer I was forced to use some type of reacher because the tub is so deep.  Standing on my tiptoes and leaning over while resting my hips on the edge of the washer does not allow me to reach the clothes far away from me (see white arrows).

I went shopping for a pair of long food tongs with Teflon coated tips designed for outdoor grilling.  The expensive pair was heavy.  The cheap pair made by Oneida is lighter, which makes it easier to pick up heavy damp clothes.  I keep the tongs in my laundry room so I will not be aggravated by searching for them in a kitchen drawer.  To keep the tongs from taking up so much room I lock them in the closed position by pulling on the metal circle with my hemiplegic hand.  You could also trap the tongs on top of the washer with your forearm while your sound hand pulls on the circle.  To open the tongs I push the circle back in.  One more aggravation gone from my life.  Cranky stroke survivors do not make good companions.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment