Saturday, June 14, 2014

Going [Fitness] Nuts!

Pamela Hsieh
Rehab Revolution
26 August 2011

I never would’ve thought I’d do three workouts in one day, but alas, fate has called upon me to summon my inner fitness nut.

My chiropractic treatments have been sailing along smoothly, with my transition to strength training quicker than the doctor anticipated. I started off with an old “friend,” the wobble board (also known as a KP board), for five minutes, along with deep calf stretches. The KP board is great for proprioception (your mind’s awareness of where your body is in space) and balance, and this is not the first time I’ve started my training routine with it.

Since the most problematic residual effects of my condition exist in my hand and arm, today I began with an arm-intensive routine with dumbbells. Unfortunately, it’d been a very long time since I’d last regularly gone to the gym for weight training (I know, shame on me); I had hoped that my regular yoga sessions would suffice, but I was mistaken.

As soon as I lay down on my back to do flies and shoulder presses, I feared for the safety of my face because dropping the dumbbells was clearly imminent. Discouraged, I ended up just going through the motions (still works for neurological programming).

So I determined it was time for me to restart my weight training regimen. I hit the gym for weight machines for the first time in probably a year. It was rough! Then I followed it with a yoga session.

Tomorrow I’m going hiking at Starved Rock and probably Matthiessen State Park here in Illinois, and I’ll likely force my friends to carry everything for me. :P

The key to restarting? Remembering to take it easy and work your way back up. Don’t be discouraged – just try, try again.

To our healing,



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment