Saturday, June 28, 2014

BPPV

Amy Shissler
My Cerebellar Stroke Recovery
Jun 21, 2014

BPPV stands for Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo. It just means you’re dizzy. If you have BPPV, here’s why you are dizzy.

When I was 2 months out of a massive stroke and had a shaved head, I went to the ER with a severe headache and dizziness.  2 months out of a stroke remember.  So the ER doctor had no idea why I was so dizzy and diagnosed me with BPPV and explained that an inner ear condition is most likely causing my dizziness.  2 months out of a cerebellar stroke, a stroke that’s MAIN symptom is dizziness.

Ok, anyway….if you actually have BPPV here’s what is going on….In your inner ear in the vestibular system there are these crystal things.  These crystal things and where they are located make you sense your position, if you’re upright, stuff like that.  Sometimes, these crystals get dislodged and are in places they shouldn’t be and make you feel dizzy and nauseous.  And sometimes they will cause you to have nystagmus.  If you had a stroke I’m sure you know what nystagmus means.  It’s when your eyeballs track back and forth rapidly.  There is a maneuver that vestibular PTs perform that puts those crystals back where they belong and hopefully resolves the dizziness.  This maneuver will not work when one has had a huge stroke.  I wish that ER doctor knew something and that BPPV actually was the cause of my dizziness.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment