Saturday, June 21, 2014

Mama Guilt

Robin
Rocky Mountain Stroke Survivors
May 3, 2013

“Mama,” asks my four year old.  “When am I going to have my stroke?”  He always asks to see a photo of what I’ve painted in art therapy this week and makes encouraging comments, “I like it!” he exclaims.  “That’s a really green tree!”

“Mahhhhh!  Mahhhh!” my baby wails for me at night as my husband carries her to another part of the house so I can sleep.

“But I want you to go toooooooo!” my four year old objects.  “I won’t have any fun without you!”

Mama guilt.  We all have it.  Mama guilt after a stroke is just a different flavor of a familiar sauce.  I thought that the stroke would free me from it…that my needs are great enough that I would let go of the guilt and just take care of myself.  It’s not that simple.

I try to keep in mind the edict of all the flight attendants who have ever given a safety talk right before the plane takes off…always put on your own oxygen mask before helping the person next to you.  But every time I hear it, I wonder.  If that moment came that there was no oxygen in the plane, would I really be capable of watching my babies suffer until I got my mask situated?  I don’t know.

So I continue in the balancing act familiar to all mamas.  Work, home, and personal life.  In my case, “personal life” encompasses activities like pool therapy and a midday nap.  But it really isn’t that different from the juggling I was doing six months ago.  So much has changed and yet so little has changed.

In the end, I know I will screw up my kids somehow regardless of the stroke or how many hours I do or don’t work or how I manage to keep juggling and in the end, I know they will be okay.  I love them dearly and they know it.  I have to believe that love will cover a multitude of mistakes.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment