Saturday, June 21, 2014

HBOT

Amy Shissler
My Cerebellar Stroke Recovery
Sep 1, 2012

HBOT stands for hyperbaric oxygen therapy.  HBOT is when you lay in a tube for a few hours and breathe in pure oxygen.  So your blood is saturated with oxygen.  Currently, there is no evidence to support its use in treating brain injuries.  EBP stands for evidence based practice.  We used to have classes called EBP.  They taught us how to research.  In PT school, it was drilled into us that you don’t do anything as a treatment unless there is sufficient evidence(research) to back it up.  Sounds good, right?  Well then I graduated and started practicing in the real world.  Let’s just say that the placebo effect is a strong, strong thing.  If a stroke occurs when the brain doesn’t get enough oxygen, it makes sense that saturating the body with oxygen would help.  I know someone who uses HBOT.  He had a stroke in his early 30s like me.  He is doing things now that the doctors said he would never, ever do.  That’s always the case with a stroke though, especially a stroke in a young person.  Every single scenario(which is a lot) I know of someone having had a stroke, that person has accomplished way more than their doctors ever said that they could.  After my stroke, I was asked numerous times to participate in this or that study.  For some of them, I just had to agree to let them read my notes, so I didn’t have to do anything.  I don’t know if I allowed this, there is a period of time that is pretty foggy for me.  I never actively participated in a study.  My point in bringing this up is that when I got sick, the absolute last thing I wanted to do was further someone’s research.  I just wanted to get better.  I knew the importance of studies but I didn’t want to gamble with my life/health or possibly get a sham treatment.  I’ve said this before, I’m SUPER CONFUSED.  I don’t know what to think now.  I really don’t.  Read this.  Thanks Dean.

Related articles





See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment