Saturday, June 07, 2014

Adaptive Gardening Comes in Many Forms

Rebecca Dutton
Home After a  Stroke
May 12, 2014

Spring is here and I am dreaming about seeing colorful flowers as I walk up to the front door of my house.  To be honest, adapted gardening did not initially make me happy.  The first year I did it I was repeatedly frustrated because it is difficult to handle delicate plants with one hand.  The second year was enjoyable because I had made all the mistakes the year before.  I have gradually learned to look at my first attempt to do familiar activities as a rehearsal rather than a failure.  

I garden in a pot placed on a bench.  I have a big pot that will not dry out if I forget to water it every day.  I used to traumatize each plant I pulled out of the store's container one-handed until I learned to let the plants dry out a little before I transplanted them. The roots break loose from the container more easily if the soil is dry.  After I fill the pot with soil, I put a plastic ring I made from a used disposable cutting board on top of the dirt.  The ring gives me something to lean the 1st row of plants against.  It also lets me create an outer ring of dirt to keep the plants away from the pot so the heat from the sun will not burn them.  After the pot is planted I remove the plastic ring.  

Joanne Murphy is a stroke survivor who is more ambitious.  Here is a photo showing how she uses old milk crates to do raised gardening.  Read more by clicking on Joanne's inside garden.






See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment