Saturday, March 15, 2014

Why I Hate Aphasia...

Diane
The Pink House On The Corner
Sunday, March 9, 2014

This, just one example from last week:
Bob: Too low.
Me: You need a boost? (meaning, to be pulled up in bed)
Bob: No. Too low.
Me: If you're too low, I can boost you up a bit. Not much, but a bit.
Bob: Nooo. It's too low.
Me: What's too low?
Bob: Too low!
Me: What is too low, sweetheart? I don't understand.
Bob: (making a gesture with his hand, holding it first up higher and then down lower) Too low!
Me: I know what "too low" means. What is too low?
Bob: (getting frustrated) TOO LOW!
Me: (also frustrated) WHAT IS TOO LOW?! I DON'T UNDERSTAND!
Bob: (smacks the towels, neatly arranged, on his bed) TOO LOW!
Me: The towels? The towels are too low? You want more towels?
Bob: (smacking the towels, again) NO! TOO LOW!
Me: Do you want more towels? I can get you more towels.
Bob: NO! Towels! (smacks the towels again)
Me: What's wrong with the towels?

Bob: TOO LOW!
Me: GA!
Bob: TOO LOW! TOO LOW!
Me: I DON'T UNDERSTAND! WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE TOWELS? I DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!!
Bob: TOO LOW! TOO LOW!
Me: I want to help you. I do. I just don't understand!
Bob: (smacking the towels again) SEE? TOO! LOW!
Me: I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU WANT! I DON'T UNDERSTAND! WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE TOWELS?? THEY ARE THE SAME TOWELS! EVERY SINGLE DAY, I WASH THOSE TOWELS FOR YOU, I DRY TOWELS FOR YOU, I FOLD THEM UP JUST LIKE YOU LIKE THEM, I EVEN SORT THEM BY COLOR AND SIZE, JUST LIKE YOU LIKE THEM, AND YOU DON'T EVEN APPRECIATE IT!!!!
Bob: I appreciate it.
Me: GA! Why can you sometimes speak so clearly and other times MAKE NO SENSE AT ALL???
Bob: I don't know.
Me: Aaargh!
Bob: Forgive me?
Me: I'm not mad at you. It's just so frustrating, so damn frustrating when I don't understand you.
Bob: I know.
I tell you, it's enough to drive a person insane...



See the ariginal article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment