Saturday, March 15, 2014

Monotony

Amy Shissler
My Cerebellar Stroke Recovery
Mar 10, 2014

Thanks for a great weekend Barb and Tom!

Everything about post-stroke life is very monotonous. Everything.  When I first had the stroke and for about a year and a half afterward my speech was incredibly monotone and I had an insanely flat affect.  I couldn’t express emotion.  I had emotions -and lots of them – but to the outside world it didn’t appear that way.  I think the only emotion the world could see was when I cried.  I cried all the time.  Now things are very very different.  I’m able to be very expressive.  My external voice matches my internal one.  For a long time, it did not.  During the first year or two after something like this, no matter where in the brain your injury was, I think something similar to this might be a problem not because of the area of the brain that was injured but because there was a major brain insult.  But I’m not a brilliant neurologist so I don’t know for sure.  I was not affected cognitively at all but it sure seemed like I was that first year because my brain as a whole was injured and recovering from being very swollen.  My brain just wasn’t right.  I mean my brain is still not right but the effects are much different now that I’m chronic.  But I wasn’t dumb or a different person, I was injured.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment