Saturday, March 22, 2014

We Are a Blessed Community

Rebecca Dutton
Home After a Stroke
May 5, 2012

Rehab is never over but I don't tell family and friends about the never ending challenges I face.  It's tedious to explain my daily struggles to able-bodied people because I have to explain the problem before they can appreciate my solution.  Hearing a blow-by-blow description of the steps I go through to achieve success is not that compelling when experienced second hand.  There is a good reason why movies and TV shows skip over the boring repetitions needed to overcome any real challenge.

Family and friends don't need to know about stroke to be a great source of emotional support and fun.  I actually prefer to be with able-bodied people rather than therapists.  Family and friends are impressed by how much I can do for myself while therapists are always looking for my deficits.  It's not therapists' fault.  Insurance companies pay them to fix problems not document assets.

My life would be different if stroke survivors and caregivers couldn't blog.  The blogging community I keep in touch with is a God-sent.  I don't have to describe my problem in great detail because someone always knows what I am talking about.  I don't have to contend with disbelief about intangible deficits, like crushing fatigue or abnormal sensation.  I appreciate the encouragement I get from other stroke survivors.  I'm inspired by their courage.  I steal their solutions and share mine.  I laugh at their funny posts.  I learn more about stroke.  Their insights help me reflect on my own stroke experience.  This community helps me finish what formal rehab began.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment