Saturday, March 15, 2014

Snow and Strokes Do Not Mix Well Together

Rebecca Dutton
Home After a Stroke
March 4, 2014

I grew up in Chicago where the schools were closed only two times in twenty years for snow. In the twenty-five years I have lived in New Jersey I have been telling the wimps who complain about bad weather that in Chicago they throw a first grader out a first story window when it snows.  If you can see the top of the child's head school is open.  But I have never seen snow like this winter in New Jersey.  We have had a major snowstorm every week for six weeks.  When I saw big pile of snow blocking my car I panicked.  The photo does not do the pile justice -- it is eight feet long and three feet high.  The shadow you see on the far left is my car.

When I lived in the city, going to work involved digging my car out of the snow cave the snow plow created by pushing snow up against the side of my car.  Coming home from work meant finding or creating a snow cave big enough for my car.  Fortunately my trailer park has its own maintenance staff.  Our maintenance man uses a backhoe to move snow that has piled up.  See the snow piled on my lawn that Joe did not cart away.  Moving a big pile of heavy, wet, ice-encrusted snow is too much even for an able-bodied caregiver.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment