Saturday, September 27, 2014

‘To See the World’ or ‘For the World to See You?’

Kate Allatt
Stroke Recovery Tips
July 23, 2014

…. a great quote I read on Twitter recently, don’t you agree?

Truthfully, I was so proud of what I personally did to recover, against all the medical odds in hospital and beyond, for a few months back in 2011/12 that for a while I unhealthily ‘believed my own Kate Allatt press’.

However, I have to say that still during that period I very much harnessed that global media attention to voluntarily (and very cheaply) build my international & credible internet-based stroke charity – Fighting Strokes.

All my back-to-back press interviews,TV & Radio appearances surrounding the launch of my 1st book - Running Free - made it possible to launch my global charity ‘all-in’ for less than £480!

So was that all bad?

I am absolutely passionate about stroke recovery and locked in syndrome, (to the point my own loved-ones have never understood it, though increasingly they seem to now.)

Worldwide there has been so much positive progress for others touched by Fighting Strokes, since January 2011.

I will always try to represent patients who now suffer like I once did, by trying to influence stroke recovery for all; and visiting patients & their families; to reaching out over social media; to writing self-help stroke recovery books/apps etc.

I’m committed to influencing working-age, stroke survivors by helping them return – should they want – back to paid employment, (As opposed to the often having to returning to voluntary work in a local stroke support group.)

I would love frontline GPs and A & E doctors to be better trained to spot early Brainstem stroke before it completely destroys yet another life, but as well as helping them to be less ignorant of the wide range of short & long term patient outcomes.

Furthermore, I want to conduct research with Joanna on the use of early intensive, repetitive, frequent Electrical Stimulation on upper limbs, of all types of stroke survivors who present physical arm impairment.

Yes, I want the world to see the impact of Fighting Strokes, so for that I make absolutely no apologies!




















See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment