Saturday, September 27, 2014

I’m in Training

Robin
Rocky Mountain Stroke Survivor
May 10, 2013

I realized last week that if I had taken the same amount of effort I’m putting into my therapies now and applied it to a training program before the strokes, I would have been able to complete a triathlon.

I’ve decided that if I continue to put in the same level of effort long term, I will eventually be transitioning from walking in the water, trying to speed up to something resembling a run, and riding a stationery bike for a few minutes…to actually doing the real activities (swimming, running, biking)…to working on increasing speed and endurance on those activities.  There are training plans to get you “Couch to 5K” in a certain number of weeks.  Well, if you work on this for years, shouldn’t you be able to get “From Stroke to Sprint“?

Even if I don’t ever complete a triathlon (which I think would be really exciting to actually do), I do know that I have as rigorous a training schedule as if I was actually planning on a sprint this summer.  Maybe someday I’ll actually complete a race… I’m going to work hard enough now to maximize my chances of doing it someday… but even if I don’t, I know that stroke recovery is an intense training program!




See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment