Saturday, September 20, 2014

Have You Been to ‘Hell’s Gates?’ #InvictusGames #strokesurvivor

Kate Allatt
Stroke Recovery Tips
September 13, 2014

Watching the truly remarkable Invictus Games Prince Harry has so brilliantly pioneered, made me think, ‘bloody hell those ex-servicemen and women have also been to Hell’s gates and back, big time.’

Everyone has tough times but when you hear of the physical and emotional traumas these people have suffered, you can only imagine (in your worst nightmare), if we really understand what a tough life really is? Should we put ourselves more out for others?

Do we moan unnecessarily in life? Should we be more grateful for what we have each day?

This is ABSOLUTELY not to say people can’t OR shouldn’t suffer mental illness for lesser experiences at all, as we all have different coping thresholds, but we must celebrate the inspirational way these people choose to cope with their massive set-backs.

In fact to prove that, I am now so passionate about mental health that I took part in my own Mrs Doubtfire challenge recently.

I can’t imagine the fear, the loss, the physical pain, the post traumatic stress, the loneliness, the isolation, the grief, the loss of all the dreams you once had, the pain of rehabilitation, the redefining yourself, the loss of friends, etc.

Writing this list I realise that these feelings are quite normal for stroke survivors to have too. We really need to do more to help everyone deal with their setbacks and learn lessons from these inspirational athletes.

When I hear how a man only narrowly escaped being zipped up dead in a body-bag in Afghanistan after one final pulse check from a diligent doctor, or I hear of the only ever man to survive being shot through both sides of his brain, it makes me feel grateful and blessed to be alive.

I salute you Prince Harry and your organising team! Very, very well done! Long may the games continue!

Will power, self-belief and having an ‘I Can’ attitude, will help all us wounded individuals.






See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment