Saturday, September 06, 2014

Caregiver Education

Amy Shissler
My Cerebellar Stroke Recovery
Aug 4, 2013

This blog post isn’t about a caregiver learning to maneuver a wheelchair correctly or how to guard someone on the steps.  This is about something that I was never taught, my friend who’s an OT was never taught, and we both never would’ve thought of this stuff if not for me going through this hell.  I would say that for about 6 months after my stroke I absolutely HATED everyone and everything.  To say I was miserable is a HUGE, GROSS understatement.  I HATED being alive.  Now, I think I can safely say this about anyone that has just gone through something extremely traumatic and whose life has just been turned upside down and inside out.  Until those issues are addressed, you can forget about making any kind of progress in PT and OT.  I remember that an OT made a home visit about 2 months after my stroke and she said to me “pet your animals with your right hand.”  (My right side is all messed up).  That’s great advice.  Did I take it?  Hell no.  I hated her.  :-)  Poor girl, I didn’t hate her because of her, I didn’t know the girl.  I just hated the world.  So if you’re a PT, an OT, or a caregiver expect this for a while.  Expect your patient/loved one to be miserable, expect massive mood swings, expect rude behavior.  I still have terrible moods but they are few and far between and I don’t think I’m rude to people, I hope I’m not.  Anyway the point of this is that your person undoubtedly has all kinds of anger and depression and whatnot.  Until those negative feelings can be released, working on yourself physically is not going to be a priority, it might not even be a goal at all.




See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment