Saturday, September 13, 2014

Good Planning Skills Are a Blessing and a Curse

Rebecca Dutton
Home After a Stroke
September 5, 2014

Being able to visualize the steps I need to orchestrate a complex task like the one below is very useful.  However, this skill also gives me time to worry about things that never happen.

Phase 1.  I planned to buy a new car before the end of the year.  First I visited Mobility Professionals to talk about modifying a new car.  I was appalled by the intense traffic on Route One in north Jersey at the mobility store.  I drove multi-lane highways to work for 25 years so I started worrying about pulling into that terrible traffic on Route 1 with an unfamiliar car.  Then I went on-line to see what 2014 cars were still available.  There was only one non-black Toyota Corolla within 50 miles of me so a commercial for the Toyota end-of-year sale sent me shopping.  I got such a good deal that I bought a car on Saturday, August 30th.  I kept my old car over the Labor Day weekend.  My new car would be delivered to the mobility store on Tuesday, September 2nd.  Because of the insane traffic at the mobility store I hoped they would keep my new car until the following Saturday when there would not be any work week traffic.

Phase 2.  While I still had my old car I purchased car insurance for my new car which turned out to be fortuitous.  When my friend Suzanne showed up at Toyota to take me home after I surrendered my old car, I got a call from the mobility store saying my new car was ready.  The salesman had told me they would need two days to modify my car but the job was done in two hours!   As Suzanne pulled out of the parking lot she suggested we go get the new car.  It was such a relief to stop worrying about the arrangements I would have to make to find a volunteer to do this task.

Phase 3.  When Suzanne offered to follow me home I said I wanted to move my new car around the parking lot to get used to it.  I startled her by taking off quickly.  Sorry Suzanne.  When I turned the spinner knob to back out of the parking space the new car felt so familiar that my fears melted away. When I saw a big gap in the traffic I pulled onto the highway. Buying a 2014 Corolla which is very similar to a 2005 Corolla was a great decision.

The 2005 Corolla looks the way cars have looked for decades.

The 2014 Corolla looks like the cockpit of a plane.  Numerous features are standard on every car.  The steering wheel has controls for the radio that I can operate without letting go of the spinner knob (see the black circle).  I cannot reach the buttons on the right side of the steering wheel that let me answer my cell phone.  I cannot believe this is now the cheapest model car Toyota makes.





See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment