Saturday, May 31, 2014

Typing Simplified

Robin
Rocky Mountain Stroke Survivors
May 27, 2013

It can be harder (or well-nigh impossible) to type after a stroke.  At the same time, the internet can be a key way to find information or stay connected.  Here’s one idea for saving money on an adaptive keyboard: use one meant for kids.  We picked up a Crayola keyboard for my son at a thrift store for $2.  The keys are HUGE.  The letters on them are HUGE.  I used to be able to touch type very quickly and I’m relearning to touch type but when I’m fatigued, I’m right back to hunt and peck.  But when I’m fatigued, I have trouble picking out the letters on the keys.  When I’m fatigued, I have trouble coordinating my affected hand enough to hit the correct key.  Adaptive keyboards are really expensive.

But this sort of keyboard is only $20 and does the job unless you need truly huge keys.  I actually find the bright colors help too because it’s easier to locate where on the keyboard I need to aim and it can be hard to see the letters on the black background of normal keys.  Make sure when you are shopping to find a keyboard with large keys, not just large print (unless all you want is the large print).  Most computers can cope with multiple keyboards so if you usually prefer the normal one and only need the large keys when you’re feeling crappy, you should be able to have both available.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment