Saturday, May 24, 2014

Singing Lesson

Amy Shissler
My Cerebellar Stroke Recovery
May 19, 2014

I had a singing lesson last week and my teacher had me perform a breath exercise and he said “did you never do anything like this in therapy?”  My answer, “not even close.”  He was disgusted.  He said nothing but I could tell that he was disgusted by the look on his face.  My most recent speech therapist, who I adore and love, taught me a lot about breath support but had me do NOTHING like what I do in my singing lessons.  My first speech therapist taught me nada about the breath and I DO NOT love and adore him.  The opposite, actually.  I am a physical therapist.  A PT’s education is about physical stuff.  Muscles and bones and whatnot, but good God a LARGE part of a PT’s education should be focused on breath work and how different breathing pattens can influence physical movements.  A speech therapist’s education is about SPEECH and the breath is the foundation of speech soooooo…..what the hell?  These exercises should be a part of every speech therapy and it’s ridiculous that they are not.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment