Saturday, May 17, 2014

Memory

Amy Shissler
My Cerebellar Stroke Recovery
Sep 15, 2012

A stroke can wipe out your memories.  Everything depends on what part of the brain was damaged.  It didn’t erase my memories, luckily.  I have a really good memory.  My long-term memory did not seem to be much affected.  I always knew who I was, who my friends and family were, how old I was, the president, stuff like that.  I remember wowing some people after the stroke with things I remembered.  My short memory – not so good.  It’s fine now but after the stroke there was definitely a problem.  I had trouble recalling a story that was just read to me – among other things.  I remember I couldn’t do this one test and it frustrated me so much.  Name all the words you can that begin with the letter ‘M.’  A conjugation of a word doesn’t count.  So if you have said the word ‘mop,’ the word ‘mopping’ doesn’t count.  I think the goal is to say 11 words in a minute.  I couldn’t do that.  For a few months, I couldn’t do it.  That made me really mad!  :)  I guess this would test long-term memory.  Anyway, couldn’t do it at first.  A friend of a friend had a stroke a few months ago and when he woke up he thought he was 5 years old.  He forgot that he was in his 30s.  Memory should be frequently assessed.  Here’s an article on memory.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment