Saturday, May 24, 2014

‘Thelma & Louise’ Return for a Very Special Boat Trip!! @Kateallatt #Cunard

Kate Allatt
A Rocky Stroke Recovery
May 13, 2014

I was only invited to speak on the Cunard’s Queen Victoria ship!

Please pinch me, did this really happen?!

In a year when I’ve been invited to meet the Queen at Buckingham Palace on my 44th birthday in June, I really can’t believe I got an invite to give a talk on the salubrious Queen Victoria ship too..

me at home head rests
Exactly 4 years ago for my 40th birthday, I was marking my big milestone with a balloon on the end of my hospital bed. Depressing.

However, fast forward four years (and my annus horribilis of 2012), with my obsessive personality and having to do something worthwhile, in what I’ve realised first hand, could be a short life.


Deep breath….

I founded a global internet-based charity (Fighting Strokes) in 2011; written three books in 3 years (my 1st internationally published book Running Free Amazon); launched an international speaking career; inspired people the world over to improve their post-stroke lives; won Extraordinary Woman of the Year 2011; was invited as a VIP to attend the London 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony, by the Deputy PM; and writing a unique stroke support app.

The Queen Vic booking only came four weeks ago and out of the blue from Room 54. However, I quickly realised that I would need to buy a whole new wardrobe, given I spend most of my days in gym Lycra or jeans!

I was so busy impulse shopping fancy-formal-wear and cooking endless meals for my family, for the following week, that I forgot to write my Queen Vic speech!!

Mark had to do the childcare sadly, so I had to ask my Bessie-mate Alison, to accompany me.

We were so excited as we embarked on our very own Thelma & Louise-esque Boat trip!

(We seem to have a thing with boat trips, if you’ve ever read my 1st two books!!!)

We were flown to Tenerife and shown to our Princess Grill Suite. OMG!

In return for their hosting I would give one 45 minute speech and one Q & A session. We were given top-notch service:
  • 24 hour Concierge service
  • Full bathroom with bath and shower
  • Exclusive access to The Grills Lounge, The Courtyard and private deck area
  • Single-seating dining in the Princess Grill restaurant. A la Carte!
  • In-suite dining from the Princess Grill menu
  • Priority embarkation
  • Bon Voyage bottle of wine and fresh strawberries
  • Pillow concierge menu (a selection of pillows and duvets to suit your preference)
  • Soft Terry Robes & slippers
  • Nightly turndown service with pillow chocolate
  • Satellite TV with multi language film and music channels
  • Direct-Dial telephone
  • Refrigerator, safe and hair dryer
  • Daily shipboard newspaper
  • 220V 3-pin and 110V 2-pin Sockets
  • Personalised stationery and atlas
  • Daily fresh fruit
























SSTattler: We showed just a sample of the pictures - see the original article ‘Thelma & Louise’ Return for ...

We were accused of being the ship dancers on two separate occasions in the lift – not bad for someone in my forties and who walks like Keyser Soze off the Usual Suspects! We were also at risk of being considered drunk and disorderly, although we were actually just high on our new found freedom and special environment.  I will always remember Al chundering on about the supposed rough sees over the Bay of Biscay (which was actually a mill pond).  I will always remember Al describing the ship ‘lurching’ on more than one occasion. We had such a laugh and I couldn’t think of a better ‘runner -up’ person to take with me.

I thoroughly loved giving my talk and book signing and look forward to getting more Cunard bookings!! (I’ll take my husband next!) The audience were very interested in the subject matter and gave me some fabulous feedback.

Although the best comment I got on my return was from my 10 year old son, Woody. He said, after looking at our snaps,

‘Mummy, you look just like you did before your stroke.’

And do you know, finally, I mostly feel like I did too.

There were no shootings and fatalities but Thelma & Louise eat your heart out! Spoilt wasn’t the word!






See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment