Saturday, April 12, 2014

Testing Bicycle Riding As Stroke Rehabilitation

Dean Reinke
Deans' Stroke Musing
Wednesday, July 20, 2011

When I came back from Winnipeg I stopped at a friends cabin. There was a bicycle leaning against a car in the paved parking lot. I stared at it and decided it was time to see if I could still ride. I pried my left hand onto the handlebar. I tried about 6 times standing on my left leg to swing my right leg over the seat. Finally just put my right hand against the car.

Luckily the left pedal was at the bottom of the arc., so I didn't have to counteract the spasticity to get it situated. I successfully did three loops around the parking lot. So now I have to get my bike out of the basement, pump up the two flat tires, lower the bike seat and add toe clips. Maybe I can finally have a sport that I can have the wind blowing through my sparse hairs again. Don't worry I'll be wearing a helmet.

Read my post on my epic failure before you even think about doing this - Epic Failure at Bike Stroke Therapy.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment