Saturday, April 19, 2014

Patience

Robin
Rocky Mountain Stroke Survivor
March 26, 2013

I’ve never been to a comedy club and I hate meetings so the majority of my experience listening to jokes, story telling, or public speaking of any sort is from sermons.  Most of the jokes I know are from sermons.  Have you heard the one about the three guys and the refrigerator?   How about the guy who drowned while waiting for God to save him?  Those are my two favourite jokes of all times and I learned them in church.

This post from another stroke blog got me thinking about patience.

I remember one particularly memorable sermon about patience.  The pastor told about driving to a meeting and running late and wondering why everyone drove so slowly, feeling angry, looking at people as he passed them (why do we do that? he asked).  On the way home from the meeting, he was in no hurry and was looking around noticing how beautiful the drive was as people roared past.

The point I brought home from the sermon and I remember again and again is this: When you ask God for patience, He doesn’t just bestow patience on you; He gives you an opportunity to be patient.

Recovering from a stroke is a huge opportunity to be patient (and be a patient for that matter)…I don’t remember asking for a lesson in patience, but maybe it was what God thought I needed.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment