Saturday, April 12, 2014

#Stroke Alone…Have You Felt Alone? Are Stroke Charities Doing Enough?

Kate Allatt
A Rocky Stroke Recovery
April 4, 2014

No one should have to go through stroke alone. It made me think of my own emotionally turbulent 2.5 years after the bomb exploded in my own brain in 2010.




  • Claire wrote: ‘I don’t feel alone with family, but with regards to friends, yes I feel alone.’
  • Me: ‘Me too/ It’s why I needed social media so much x.’
  • Adrian: ‘I tend to keep my daily struggle to myself quite often since my seizure in November. Before that in the 18 months post stroke I was more open.’
  • Simon: ‘I feel alone with my wife. I have tried talking to her but she doesn’t want to know. Friends and siblings also don’t seem as interested but my daughter is like a rock. She is only 8 years old. Our relationship is strong and it is unbreakable now.’

  • Claire: ‘I’m quite open and will talk about it all if people want but I used to have people before my stroke would ask me all the time if I want to go out. They would also ask me to talk by text or phone, but now I don’t get the time of day. I like to meet up with new or old people.’
  • Eddie: My family are great but they take the Mick out of me for the amount of Facebooking I do. I tell everyone that I have worldwide friendships with other survivor, who listen, support, encourage, rant without going in a huff, talk politics etc. I don’t have the pleasure of meeting old friends/colleagues for a chat to put the world to rights, as they have all disappeared. Life is good.’
  • Claire: ‘I do like chatting to other stroke survivors but there is nothing like a good face – to – face chat with someone. I went through post natal depression and the depression from stroke was so hard and family were supportive but most of my friends were none existent.’
  • Iain: ‘I’m alone.’
  • Amelia: ‘Sometimes yes, Im alone.’
  • Karen: ‘Some times I do as well that people who’ve not had a stroke do not understand.’
  • Michelle: ‘Sometimes yes, only had a few friends and some were very two-faced about me after my stroke.’
  • Me: ‘Eddie my face to face friends take the Micky out of me too. Do I care?’
  • Me: ‘Iain, sending you a virtual hug.’
  • Michelle: ‘Not many people seem to bother with me or ask how I’m doing or invite me to theirs or take my out. They don’t seem to like the responsibility of my wheelchair.’
  • Michelle: ‘I’ve lost a few but I’ve gained a few.’
  • Me: ‘Ditto.’
  • Michelle: ‘You find out who your real friends and family are.’
  • Kay: ‘Nope, not alone.’
  • Theresa: ‘Feel alone especially when I’m with my family. I feel like I’m on the outside looking in.’
  • Me: ‘Yes I get that. I also feel that because I look like the old me, people assume I am the old me. It irritates me. But I think they are often very selfish and wrapped up in things that just aren’t important in life.’
  • Theresa: ‘Oh Kate you have described it exactly.’
  • Anna: ‘Very alone at times, my son had his stroke at just 1 day old.’
  • Sharon: ‘24/7 no family, just me and my 13 year old special needs son.’
  • Kate: ‘… Yes I am alone… I still go out with old friends – particularly difficult when they are discussing how stressed out their lives are and moaning about how difficult it is to lose weight etc etc. They should try doing stroke rehab! Moan over!’
  • Lisa: ‘I feel alone my family don’t understand. They think, ‘You’re better now, get over it, it was so last millennium type of attitude…’
  • Jacki: ‘Only someone who has felt the agony of stroke and the terror you now live with can really understand what life is like now. Stroke leaves you alone in your mind and body.’
  • Lesley: ‘Yes even close friends tend to chat less to you and make you feel isolated..’

We seem to be focussing on stroke prevention.  What about helping stroke survivors to adapt, flourish and improve?

WE NEED TO DO MORE FOR STROKE SURVIVORS!


P.S Keep an eye out for my 3rd book in November 2014 – I Am Still The Same. A self-help stroke guide on ebook initially.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment