Saturday, April 12, 2014

Activcycle

Barb Polan
Barb's Recovery
11th January 2010

Today I got a lovely letter via U.S. mail from a rower I don't know. She praised my blog as an inspiration and said that it's a good reminder that "healing is never an impossible goal." It's a little like fan mail and I don't quite know what to do with it other than let it buoy me when I'm wondering what to write about each day - I know why I'm writing the blog and I know that it's important to me to tell my story, but some days I cast about for hours wondering bout the topic of the day - not that much happens on the recovery front some days, but that's probably good for others to note: Moving my fingers slightly yesterday really only means that I can move them slightly today (and even that took additional effort today), not that I can now make a fist or type.

I used my activcycle today, with first my legs and then my arms propelling it for 7 minutes at a time - it tired my thighs the most. The activcycle is a stationary device that acts like a bicycle, with pedals and slightly self-propelling motor. You can set it on a slow speed and your feet/hands on the pedals are moved along; you can push with either/both sides, expending as much energy/effort as you want. When I told my PT that my husband had bought me one because I had used something similar at Spaulding, she was pleased and suggested that I use it daily with both my feet and hands, starting at 5 minutes each and building up to 20 minutes each. Today was my second day using it, so I was up to 7 minutes, which was hard for my legs and easy for my arms, although I think I quit the arm segment early (yes, it is just as boring as a stationary bike).



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment