Saturday, April 26, 2014

I'm a Musician, Artist & Mother, and I Survived a Stroke

Peter G. Levine
Stronger After Stroke
Wednesday, April 16, 2014
by Elizabeth Carrigan, as told to Adrienne Walkowiak 

As a stroke survivor, I wanted to reach out to the readers of the Stronger after Stroke blog to tell my story.  This article wouldn't have been possible without my friend, Adrienne, to help me write it.

I'm a musician, artist and mother, and five years ago, I had everything going for me.  I was happily working on my new music CD and blissful after welcoming my baby daughter, Saoirse, in January 2010.  I saw, though, that life can change in an instant.  Six days after delivering my baby, I experienced major post-childbirth complications, including a brain hemorrhage that led to a massive stroke.

I've spent the past four years fighting through this debilitating health crisis, motivated in my recovery by my family, friends, and the dream of completing my CD.  While I'm definitely feeling better, I'm still not back to where I was before the stroke.  For instance, I'm still relearning the breath control that's instrumental in my singing.  Luckily, while I'm working to get stronger, my new producers are able to use my previously recorded vocal tracks on the album.

I've recently launched a Kickstarter campaign to cover the costs of producing and promoting my new album, and I'm depending on this peer-supported initiative to move my new album forward.  Kickstarter “backers” will have the opportunity to be part of the album's success.

My new album, I Dreamed Last Night, transforms traditional Celtic music, adding a more modern flair, and I'm confident that it will appeal to music fans across multiple genres.  My producers say that my music evokes the production styles of artists like Lorde or Lana Del Ray.  I was influenced by Sandy Denny, Bjork, Kiran Ahluwlia, Shooglenifty, and Medeski, Martin and Wood, to name a few.  

This album is, quite literally, a labor of love project.  I started it more than four years ago - pre-stroke -  and completing the CD has been a huge motivator in my ongoing recovery.  I was determined to finish this project, and I'm proud to finally be able to share my new music.

Like many others who have experienced a stroke, I've gone from being busy and independent to being immersed in a severe health crisis.  I wasn't sure whether I'd recover enough to sing again, and my ongoing health issues still prevent me from being fully engaged in the studio.   My breath control is an issue and my voice sounds like it's someone else's.   My energy is much lower than it used to be, pre-stroke, which can be frustrating.   My hearing and my vision are both hugely distracting.  Light hits my eye, and although the doctors say the stroke didn't impact my vision, it is incredibly distracting.  Sounds are incredibly distracting. My voice is incredibly distracting.

Today, my artwork and music reflect my experiences, recovery and new perspective.  While all artists evolve based on their personal journeys, my transformation as a musician and artist reflects my ongoing recovery from this very serious health crisis.  I find that it's helpful and healing to use art and music to express my emotions.

Some days were - and continue to be - challenging, and there were days that I struggled - and still struggle - to stay hopeful.  Those first three years, in particular, were a frightening dance between hope, loss and grief.  Even now, more than four years post-stroke, I still face struggles and some days are harder than others, health-wise.  I try hard to remain brave and positive even when things seem bleak.  I do feel like I'm getting stronger, and I'm thankful for that.

I'm hopeful and optimistic about my new album, which is a celebration on multiple levels.  It celebrates my ongoing recovery, commitment to music, and determination to conquer my health issues.   I Dreamed Last Night will appeal to stroke survivors, busy parents, music lovers across all genres - as well as anyone who has worked to overcome adversity.

To join my Kickstarter campaign and contribute to my album's success, please click here.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment