Saturday, January 25, 2014

Treadmill for Stroke Recovery

Amy Shissler
My Cerebellar Stroke Recovery
Apr 25, 2012

I am of the opinion that one of the best things you can do for yourself after a stroke is buy a treadmill – if you can walk that is.  If you can’t walk yet leave it to the rehab professionals.  But, as soon as you can walk, buy a treadmill for your home.  You don’t have to go fast, go really slow if you need to.  Be safe, safety first.  A treadmill does a lot of things.  First, it gets you walking, this will improve your gait.   There are published research studies that say treadmill walking helps neuroplasticity.  This is the rewiring of the brain.   I was a lucky one – I could walk soon after my stroke.  So after a few months I bought a treadmill.  At first I walked a ton.  I just got on the treadmill everyday.  Now, this is my routine….a 5 minute warm-up followed by 30 minutes of intervals followed by 20-30 more minutes of just plain walking.  For more info on interval training go here.  I absolutely love my treadmill.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment