Saturday, September 26, 2015

How to Cheer Up Stroke Victim

Amy Shissler
MyCerebellarStrokeRecovery
September 17, 2015

The title of this post was a search term on my blog today.  ‘How to cheer up stroke victim.’  Ummm, I’m sure the person that wrote this is newly devastated but I’ve been dealing with this crap for nearly 5 years and I’m a bit jaded.  It’s wonderful that someone cared enough to search that.  I’m pretty sure that something like that was never searched for by the main players in my life on how to deal with me and interact with me.  You really can’t cheer the person up, maybe you can, I don’t know.  For me, I just wished I had died.  The most you can hope to do within those first couple of years after a brain injury is provide fleeting moments of joy through laughter, perhaps through Grumpy Cat pictures.  This was the case for me anyway.  Maybe there are other stroke survivors that didn’t badly want to be released by death from the hellish existence they were forced to live.  I did.  Does anyone else want to comment on how you may have been cheered up?  I couldn’t be cheered up.  I was in a deep, deep, deep depression and had lost any and all hope.  The fact that I was able to pull myself out of that is quite amazing.  It’s pretty much all up to the individual, I think.  You can suggest all kinds of things that you think would help, read my blog, read Dean’s blog for all kinds of suggestions.  But you can’t do anything for the person, you can only recommend stuff, and hope they oblige.

But I’m going to do a post soon that is quite the opposite of the message of this post and tell recent strokees that life can get better, way better.

A side note, it has been said by Dean that e-mail after e-mail goes unanswered by the ASA and NSA.  I have sung the praises of Peter G. Levine’s book Stronger After Stroke, have recommended it to a bunch of people and have been a big supporter of his blog and have it listed on my homepage under ‘The Most Important Recovery Links You Need’ category.  And I have no plans of deleting it.  I still think this book is the best one that exists about stroke recovery right now. This will change when I write a book.

But multiple e-mails of mine to him about meditation have gone unanswered and meditation is only briefly mentioned twice I think on his blog.  I can provide thousands of research articles about the benefits of meditation on the brain.  A plethora of evidence that would take months to read through.  Is anyone out there genuinely trying to help people without expecting anything in return with no personal agenda?  My heart aches for humanity right now.

To try to cheer up a stroke victim…..



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment