Saturday, October 05, 2013

What I Learned About Caregivers

Rebecca Dutton
Home After a Stroke
September 25, 2013

I live alone so I am both a stroke survivor and a caregiver.  Things have been going smoothly so I had forgotten how much caregivers do.  In my last post I talked about a water main break.  I had to find and contact a plumber to come see why my water was a scalding 155 degrees. I had to be home when the plumber replaced the thermostat and the heater coils.  Instead of thinking about my exercises I was making arrangements to get my hot water heater fixed.  If I were still married my husband would have taken care of this.

Living alone showed me that caregivers are pummeled by a triple whammy. They have to (1) do the chores they have always done, (2) take on their partner's role, and (3) be a therapist.  For example, a wife may have to take out the garbage, take the car to have the oil changed, and change the batteries in the smoke detectors.  A husband may have to cook, do laundry, and deal with insurance companies.  When caregivers become therapists they may have to help with self-care, set up home exercises, transport a spouse to appointments, and deal with a stroke survivor's bad moods. Yikes!

When I was a therapist I visualized caregivers helping with self-care and exercises.  I never pictured them doing additional chores.  I never thought about them needing time to recharge their batteries with rest, fun, and social support.  Now I cringe when I realize I used to think "oh the spouse or adult child will take care of that."

See the original article + 5 Comments:

No comments:

Post a Comment