Saturday, October 12, 2013

RIP Beating Locked in Syndrome & What Makes Kate Allatt, Kate Allatt.

Kate Allatt
A Rocky Stroke Recovery
October 1, 2013

Setting the record straight.. (& a congratulations to a new birth!)

  • Is Fighting Strokes charity Kate Allatt or is Kate Allatt Fighting Strokes? …
  • Was my  open’ Beating Locked In syndrome’ Facebook page, always about Kate Allatt?

Of course it was! It was my diary, warts and all, since May 2010 from when I was in hospital! (In retrospect, being an ‘open’ page was a big mistake, though I never fully appreciated that until this year!) Did it expose my ‘car-crash’ life at times, for sure. I’m fragile and vulnerable.

Since January 2013, it was as much my diary, as latterly a specific resource to inspire people seeking PRACTICAL advice for their recently ‘locked-in’ relative. You see people used to search Facebook for any groups or pages with ‘locked in syndrome’ in. I guess unwittingly, my diary cornered the market!

Did I pat-myself-on-the-back sometimes? Annoyingly perhaps, (and certainly not a very British thing).

Well, I did work alone after all, and the majority of time, I had no one to bounce off or share your inspirational successes with, especially since most of my own loved-ones seemed to me, to get ’stroke fatigue’ with me, a year and a half ago. (Don’t blame them, but when I realised this,I soon shut up completely about Fighting Strokes in ALL non-internet, social situations!

Did I try to inspire people affected with other stories of inspiration or recovery? Your damn right, and I always will, whenever and wherever they need it.

I haven’t always got the balance right, but I try to inspire people to improve, that’s it.

My Fighting Strokes Facebook Page  and www.fightingstrokes.org has punched above its weight, as opposed to actually the solitary full time me who sits in my open plan kitchen, tied to my IPhone or laptop, each day, voluntarily!

The idiots guide to me.
      1.  My charity – Fighting Strokes – Inspires, empower others and influences health professionals, for ANY TYPE OF STROKE, note, not just Locked in syndrome! (though that’s my hot potato!)
      2.  I like to write this blog, my books and I’m trying to get a paid inspirational or after dinner speaker career going.


 Standard YouTube License @ kate allatt

      3.  I influence/collaborate on national stroke research.
      4.  I am married to Mark, have 3 amazingly resilient kids, who I ADORE, who have coped tremendously with what is a HUGE family issue.
      5.  I love walking and our new edition Cockapoo, ’Lottie’.
      6.  I am simple, I love to laugh at myself, I like a laugh with my best mate. Our mischievous sense of humours gets us (actually, me ) either in trouble, or helps us cheekily blag incredible things! Perhaps, I’m a bit arrogant? But I had an idea for a charity, based on my experience, and my hunches, back in January 2011, have proven to be correct, on the whole.  Wasn’t it normal to feel a bit smug occasionally? (Fear not, ‘smugness’ has been returned to a locked box now!) I am also uncomfortably honest, calling a spade-a-spade and pretty opinionated.
      7.  I have a few very, very good real friends, but improved family relationships.
      8.  I had an addictive personality before, I still do.

I have a passion, few can understand, which has grown and changed organically from nothing into being a worthwhile internet-based charity, which reaches the world.

It gives me great pleasure and satisfaction, knowing fighting strokes/me can help others. My husband has, until now, supported our family financially, alone. Hopefully, I can start to redress that imbalance soon, as I have NEVER been a kept woman!

Do I accept that I have had many ‘James-Cordon-2008-Bafta-Speech-moments in the last 2.5 years? For sure. All I would say is, ‘walk our Allatt walk, then judge us.’

Do I think people don’t ‘get me’?

Yes, but the difference today is, I DON’T care.

I’m now drawn to people who rise above extreme personal suffering, (hence my blog about Jon recently).

I will carry on sharing stories to share the load when things get a bit manic for me and finding new ways to inspire you all.

Will ‘stroke’ define me?  Probably.

Do I care? No. It makes my life worthwhile and I know I’m a nicer person now.

Was it sad that I closed my diary? Yes but no. Time to move on and re-group.

I know I’m one of the lucky ones, simply, I just want to help.

So Beating Locked In Syndrome RIP!


… But CONGRATULATIONS to the birth of ‘Tips Brainstem stroke locked in syndrome
(A closed group)

See the original article + 2 Comments:

No comments:

Post a Comment