Saturday, October 31, 2015

Meditation and Physical Therapy

Amy Shissler
MyCerebellarStrokeRecovery
January 7, 2015

A search term on my blog the other day was “meditation and stroke recovery.”  So I searched this term myself on both Google and the Yahoo search engine and my blog came up on the second page of the Google search results and on the first page of the Yahoo search results.  That’s pretty cool.  Yay for me.  The results of that search led to me to a bunch of other sites.  A few of those sites were research articles about meditation.  One in particular kind of made me cringe.  Here it is.  Below is a copy and pasted line from that research article which is from an international, online, peer-reviewed medical journal.  ‘Peer-reviewed’ is considered the best kind of evidence according to the powers that be.

“The study concluded that meditation along with conventional physiotherapy management is more effective than conventional physiotherapy alone in the management of stroke.  Thus, in post stroke rehabilitation, meditation should be incorporated in the management regime of stroke patients.”

There are lots of other research articles similar to this one.  This is the first one I have seen though that specifically talks about rehab and meditation together. The fact that meditation is not recommended by neurologists makes me angry and upset.  If I hadn’t found through MY research a bunch of stuff about meditation it never would have been recommended to me.  By anyone.  That’s sick.  That’s just sick.  It’s not right.  The fact that meditation is not required for treating brain injuries is just – it’s not just ignorance now, it’s flat-out negligence in my opinion.  Anyone that I ever have as a patient in the future, guess what will be STRONGLY recommended.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment