Saturday, October 10, 2015

Improved Sleep: Not the Solutions You’re Expecting

Leslie
Living After Stroke
Like many stroke survivors, I’m cursed with restless sleep. I don’t sleep at night. I nap multiple times between the hours of 10pm-10am.

I wake up every hour to pee. On top of that, any little sound wakes me. I’m a very light sleeper, most likely because I never fall into a deep sleep. It wouldn’t be so bad if I could go right back to sleep after peeing but I am usually up for 1-2 hours.

I’ve considered being tested for sleep apnea, an issue many survivors have. I avoided the testing because I didn’t think I’d ever adjust to a CPAP machine. Why bother being tested if I’m not willing to try the solution, it’s just better not to know. In the hospital, I constantly removed the oxygen nasal cannula and that was small. A mask of any type, I think not.

After nearly 3 years of spending 10-13 hours in bed to sleep for 3-4 hours, that all changed 3 weeks ago!

Deep Sleep


The past few weeks, I’ve slept deeply for 3-4 hour intervals. I’ve woken up refreshed and well rested. I also don’t wake up with an uncontrollable urge to pee. Unheard of in my world! My next nap is another 2-3 hours, not just 1, and it’s another round of deep sleep.

I’ve actually woken up too refreshed. I was ready to start the day at 3am and actually have a couple of times without a need to nap the during the day.

Last night I actually slept for 3 hours then another 4 more with only 10 minutes between the 2 naps! As close to sleep perfection as I could imagine.

What changed?


I started two new things on the same day so I’m not sure if my sleep improvements are from one specifically or the combination of both. I really have to stop doing that.

I think I make multiple changes together because I don’t believe any of the changes will affect anything but then something good starts to happen and I don’t know which change was responsible.

The Two Changes


I began starting my days with a ph balancing drink and I got the most amazing pillow.

The “Pillow”


I’ve had tons of pillows over the years; feather, Tempur-Pedic, foam, gel, firm, soft, micro-bead, etc. We have an overabundance of pillows in our house. I’ve never been happy with any.

Since my stroke, I’ve had to sleep on my back. I don’t like feeling flat on my back so I stacked pillows. I tried all sorts of variations. I was never comfortable and usually woke up with upper body aches & pains. I was always a stomach sleeper pre-stroke.

I ditched them all. This is amazing. I don’t mind sleeping on my back anymore.

This pillow is weird. It has water in it.  My chiropractor / acupuncturist sells them. I’ve looked at them for years now but never bought one.

My sister bought one awhile back but she wasn’t thrilled with it. Then again, she thought it would solve ALL her sleeping issues, it didn’t. She suffers from chronic depression and anxiety, which contribute to her sleep issues. That would be one hell of a pillow if it cured depression & anxiety.

I have no idea why I finally bought it. However, the next week I bought Freddy one too. He didn’t want it.

He loves it!! He also slept with a ton of pillows, and snores a lot, not anymore.

I can only imagine how amazing it would feel to use it sleeping on my stomach. One day, maybe…….

In addition to restful sleep, I haven’t woken up with any neck or shoulder soreness in weeks. No matter which way I move my head, I’m totally comfortable. It cradles and supports my head like no other pillow that came before it. It also doesn’t get hot like other pillows. I would constantly have to flip my pillows to find cool spots, not with this one.

Call me the Sandman; everyone’s getting one of these for Christmas!

If you’re in the market for a new pillow, you must consider the Chiroflow pillow. The studies are spot-on!

It’s remarkable.

Greens First


I got so into talking about pillow love that I nearly forgot to tell you about my new morning beverage. (Which I also love!)

Off Topic


I started drinking it the same day I started using the pillow. It’s from my acupuncturist too. Before you start to think he’s a product pusher and sold me two things in one day, stop that thought process right now.

He’s my friend and has not only treated me weekly since the stroke at no charge; he gives me the products at cost. Yay me!

My family is forever in his debt.  He is the kindest, most giving person we know.  We’d be lost without him.

It’s funny most chiropractors and acupuncturists do tend to say you need every product they carry and service they offer. He’s the complete opposite. He doesn’t want to come across like them so he’ll only tell people about useful products if they ask.

I’m on him all the time about this. I believe there is a huge difference between pushing and informing. I mean, come on, we don’t know what we don’t know, right? How are we supposed to know what to ask about?

I’m someone who is constantly searching for answers and reading about anything that may improve any of my many issues. Every week when I go to see him, I have new questions or ideas to run by him. I’ve learned that not everyone does that. Even if they do……………..

We still don’t know what we don’t know!

In addition to hip adjustments & acupuncture, he has helped me tremendously, but only because I asked the questions.

There I go again, taking a random detour off topic. I’ve even forgotten what this post was about. I had to scroll up to find out – Damn stroke!

Back to Greens First


About 3 months ago, I started feeling burning in my upper abdomen and throat. I was also getting nauseous quite often. After a couple of months of this not passing, I started looking for answers. I came across an article that said these could be signs of acid reflux. Many articles said that starting the day with warm lemon water might help.

Even though lemons are acidic, they actually raise the ph in your body. I figured I had nothing to lose by trying it.

My topic for that week’s visit: acid in the body and drinking warm lemon water in the mornings. That’s when he told me about Greens First, a product I had seen in his office for as long as I can remember but never asked about.

Improved Sleep: Not the solutions you’re expecting Just as I conceded that normal sleep was only a pre-stroke memory and a post-stroke dream, I discover it’s possible again! Two surprising purchases made it a reality.

Greens First has many more benefits than plain lemon water so I gave it a shot.

From their website, adding Greens First to your diet may help to:
• Increase Energy Levels without Stimulants
• Boost the Immune System
• Improve Digestion
• Assist in Weight Management
• Balance Healthy Blood Sugar Levels
• Promote Mental & Cognitive Acuity
• Alkalize and Balance Body pH
• Promote Healthy Heart & Liver Function
• Reduce Inflammation, Relieve Stiff & Achy Joints
• Detoxify and Promote Overall Wellness*

It was very green and supposedly very healthy. I was a tiny bit scared, was it going to taste like grass? Oh well if it was, it was just 6-8 oz; I can handle it.

Day One


The drink was a very vibrant green color and it was absolutely delish!

It’s minty, refreshing and leaves me wanting more. A great way to start the day. I haven’t missed a morning, unlike with the lemon water and I do love lemons.

This morning I had Freddy taste it. He was hesitant because he just brushed his teeth. He didn’t believe me that it wouldn’t give him the heebie-jeebies. You know, that strange feeling you get when you eat or drink something immediately after brushing your teeth.

Of course, he had to admit I was right. Love those days.

Benefits to Date


I no longer have the burning or nausea. I’ve been sleeping great. I don’t believe it’s just the pillow. I have much more energy and focus. I also lost ½ a pound last week instead of my typical gaining ½ pound. Which means I really lost a pound without trying, right???

I know, I know, that’s reaching. But when you steadily gain a ½ lb a week, not gaining it is as good as loosing it!

As for the other claims…………. I have no way to measure their validity. However, feeling great tells me they’re probably true.

Greens First will definitely stay part of my daily routine!

Till next time - Have Wonderful Days - Leslie



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment