Saturday, October 24, 2015

A Young Boy Made Me… Talk! Aphasia Speech Therapy

Mark A. Littleman
The Teaching of Talking
October 19th / 2015

As many of you know, we are residing in a motorhome and traveling around the country sharing the Teaching of Talking book while also training University students and caregivers.  We are now in Huntington Beach, California at an RV Resort on the Pacific Highway.

I was on my way to the shower room this morning, minding my own business when a lanky 11 or 12 year old emerged on the scene and started to walk along side of me.  I found it odd that a probable pre-teen would be walking and matching my stride.  As he mirrored my movements, he inquired, “Do you live here, or are you just visiting?”  Again I was surprised that a young man would pose a question like that, since I often remembered being told as a child “Never talk to strangers.”

But I was impressed as we continued our stroll to the Men’s Facility, and he then asked how long we were staying, and I felt obliged to answer.  “Maybe a few months, I replied.”  He then volunteered he was traveling with his family on vacation in an RV and they were just “passing through.”

“Where to next?” I inquired.  “Disneyland.” he replied.  “Where are you from?” was my next question.  “Colorado.” he said.  He then turned into the men’s room, while I took a slight right turn into the shower area.

As I was preparing to shower, I overheard him striking up conversations with others.  I was amazed at how elegant he was as a conversationalist, and how simple he made it all seem.

I had not really planned on having a conversation on the way to the shower room; nor had I had any idea it would be with a pre-pubescent boy.

It just goes to show that anyone can be a conversationalist, and this young boy was as just about anyone I had ever met!

On my way back to the motorhome I decided that I would be even better at engaging people in conversation, and that would be one of my major goals, esp. with others that I might meet happenstance along the way through daily living.

Being conversational is fun and enlightening, and often those who really don’t feel like speaking are obliged to reply.   It is a skill that can be developed and improved upon

What would it be like if we could engage others in conversation; even those with speaking difficulties?  Wouldn’t it be great if we could ask the kinds of questions that would engage them in much more talking?

Would we see speaking improvement?

You betcha!

Find out how you can help children who do not speak and those with aphasia speak with more clarity and have fun at the same time! 
Click Here: http://teachingoftalking.com/screeningtestanddocs

Moshe Mark Ittleman, M.S., CCC/SLP
Senior Speech Language Pathologist
Author:  Teaching of Talking & Teaching of Talking Training

No comments:

Post a Comment