Saturday, February 08, 2014

Shall We Dance?

Barb Polan
Barb's Recovery
13th August 2012

Since I had the stroke, Tom and I have attended three weddings. I LOVE dancing and, each time, I have tried to get Tom to dance with me. Nope, which has been okay because I'm so inhibited. Full disclosure: even pre-stroke, I could get him on the dance floor only one or two songs per wedding; most of my dancing was done with friends and family. But, Tom would always dance with our daughter when she asked him. Now, though, Tom's "no" is a true "no," not an "ask me later when I've had more to drink." We went to a wedding this past weekend and, being the marriage of college friends' son, there were many long-time friends there, including a former boyfriend of mine (JB, of course, for anyone who knows him). He has absolutely no inhibitions and expects everyone else to be the same. He strong-armed me into dancing - a slow song first so that he could grab me tighter if I stumbled. He tucked my left arm under his right and pressed it in against his side, then put his other arm around my waist. I could actually take steps with my left leg. My timing was bad because it took so long to move that leg. Of course, many of my steps were onto his foot, but I'm not that strong or that heavy that it bothered him. Plus, he was the one forcing me to dance, so too bad. Following the slow was, of course, a fast - that old wedding staple "Mac, the Knife." I was very happy to be out there, and my right arm had the best time. Now I'm thinking of cranking up the music when I'm home alone and devising my own dance therapy. Slow songs are out.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment