Saturday, December 07, 2013

Not how hard you get hit, but how much you can get hit... Rocky Balboa!!!!

Kate Allatt
A Rocky Stroke Recovery
August 12, 2013

Omg 2010-2013 especially or what?

‘Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how much you can get hit & still keep moving forward.’

Rocky Balboa

I needed to get at ease with myself, our kids, my husband and find a new equilibrium.

Yes, its true we’ve felt more hit, much harder and more often, than most over the last 3.5 years.

Maybe, I’m perhaps just more honest and open about that? Is it just that we/I are all more vulnerable and emotionally delicate than others?

I’ve realised that I have more residual effects of my stroke than I ever really acknowledged.

I shout a lot and my patience is SEVERELY compromised, (which also seems to affect my whole family by the way.. so what’s their excuse?) Is it learned behaviour off me? Am I to blame???

I also have ‘Kevin & Perry’ teenage strops without any understanding of why? Bizarre.

I have ‘Urge incontinence’ – which takes more management in public and when I am around my family 24/7. It’s become a game of, ‘I spy the toilet!’

I have loved giving our children a real family holiday, but I also really need 2 hours a day of solitary-me-time alone walking with my primary best-friend – my head! (Although, mostly while the rest sleep off their nocturnal activities!) Perhaps, the legacy of my locked-in and 8 months incarceration in hospital?

I’ve missed my online social media communities (sad, but true) as I went ‘cold turkey’ for 8 days on The Dordogne!

People also seem to linger their gazes at me as they try to figure what’s different about me. (So much for thinking I was back to ‘normal.’)

My reflexes are pants, as demonstrated in my attempts to play Badminton!

My fine motor skills are clumsy and slow.

We have done activities like:

  • 16km Canoeing the Dordogne (or part of it!)
  • Zip wire, archery, card games, tennis, football, quad bikes, trampolining, hangin’ out, swimming, cycling, walking, scrabble, read 4 books, drank, ate too much and talked more to everyone generally.

One boy at Harvey’s football said out of the blue and totally innocently,
‘hey, what happened to your neck?’ Perhaps he thought I’d survived a shooting!!!
I felt surprised, as I never look or even think about or look at my Trachi site.

I felt self-confident about getting in and out of a pool, so I spent the whole two weeks poolside as a spectator.

A period of bonding, stability will give us all a renewed confidence which may help us all cope better back at home, after a tough few months?

The determining factors in our improvement as I see them in 2013:

LOTTIE our dog
hUGO The VW Camp Van














And re-bonding in France!
























See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment