Saturday, December 21, 2013

Cheating Safely Saves My Christmas

Rebecca Dutton
Home After a Stroke
December 14, 2013

Last December I talked about volunteers who saved my Christmas. Even with their help, I found that Christmas was stressful because a stroke took away my ability to push through my fatigue.  Unfortunately I've accumulated two large boxes of Christmas decorations over the years.  I was exhausted after putting up all my decorations.  So instead of packing and repacking to get every item back in my crowded boxes,    I set aside nice items I no longer feel an attachment to for my church's spring sale.  I got to raise money for charity and send nice decorations to families that I hope will love them.


I kept items: 1) that are handmade like Santa made from a mop (photo on left), 2) that remind me of a happy memory like sledding with my brothers (photo on right), or 3) can be arranged in a tableau like the reindeer (photo below).

Stroke survivors and caregivers aren't the only people who need to let go.  A December workshop at my church is called "Simplify the Holidays."  The flyer says " Do you find the holidays are filled with shoulds and to-do lists?  Are you struggling with maintaining old traditions that no longer have meaning in your family life?"  The choices I made last Christmas made the current holiday more enjoyable.
See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment