Saturday, December 28, 2013

Changing Landscapes—My New Normal

Dec 22, 2013

A friend of mine wrote a book that you can buy here.  Her name is Sarah Krenk and she’s a young stroke survivor like me.  She had her stroke a year after I did and she wrote a book, that’s impressive.  So what, you may ask, is different about this story from every other stroke survivor book out there.  Every single book that I’ve read written by a stroke survivor was written years and years after having a stroke.  This book was written in the middle of all the crap.  She never wanted to forget what it was like then and what she felt like so she wrote a book about it!  That’s pretty ambitious of you, Sarah.  :)  She wrote about the care that she received in the hospital and quite frankly it horrified me to my very core.   Unfortunately, I think almost everyone reading this can tell me a story like that.  And cognition was 100% intact the entire time even though of course everyone around her treated her like she was mentally screwed up because of the way she was on the outside.  Sigh.  Another thing about this book that I like is that Sarah is pretty well off and she knows it.  Then this happened.  She was living on easy street and now her life is anything but easy.  She’s surely not taking anything for granted anymore.  A stroke can attack ANYONE, ANY AGE, ANYTIME, ANYWHERE, ANY…..  Strokes don’t discriminate.


See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment