Saturday, December 21, 2013

An Early Christmas Present for Me! #Strokeadvocacy

Kate Allatt
A Rocky Stroke Recovery
December 14, 2013

This means the ABSOLUTE world to me as a staunch STROKE PATIENT ADVOCATE!

‘Hi Kate   Thank you very much for coming along to my workshop last Thursday.  Your talk/story was/is truly amazing Kate you had me and some of my clients in tears.  The Power Point presentation was excellent, especially the photographs of you in hospital just after you had suffered your stroke, and the video footage of you walking and then running, as this showed the severity of your stroke, and how you were and how you are now, truly inspirational. I think it is really important for people to see how you were and see snap shots of your journey to appreciate just how far you have come.   Most of my clients are still coming to terms with their own stroke and how it has affected them and their life.  Your talk, I am sure, will have been a huge support/help to them.   The feedback after you left from my clients was very positive; they all said how much they had enjoyed the session.  I could see whilst you were giving your talk that everyone in the room was completely focused on you and what you were saying.  There was no chuffling in chairs, no coughing, just complete silence, everyone listening to what you were saying.  It was certainly, by far, the best workshop I have run and it is definitely what my clients needed to hear, that staying positive and having goals no matter how small, is really important.  One point I really liked about your talk was how you explained that it is no good thinking about how you were before stroke, because you will never be that person again, that is gone, but to focus on how you are now and what you can do and what you can try to work towards, I felt that was a really important message and one which I hope my clients will remember.    If my budget will allow I would definitely like you to come along next year to give the talk again to a new set of clients. ‘

Jane Hammond
Reablement Service Coordinator – Sheffield THE STROKE ASSOCIATION


And this…

“Truly inspirational lady. She is a great speaker who really engaged with the group. Her experiences and great sense of humour were a real hit to the large group she spoke to. Kate left all clients feeling inspired and motivated to push themselves as she has done …”

Jill Salmon
Stocksbridge Brain Injury Rehabilitation Centre.



I NEVER ever forget that I can only inspire people to make more progress improvement.  (Note, I NEVER use the word ‘recovery’, as I will never, ever be the same again for the patient or loved-one again.) The effort, the will and motivation must come from within the INDIVIDUAL.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment