Saturday, May 23, 2015

Take Care

Mark A. Ittleman
Teaching of Talking
May 17 / 2015

(This is a message from the "ether."  The "all knowing" part of us and the universe.)

There are always new expressions that show up in our language and then emerge universally.

One of the expressions I have not heard in quite awhile is: Take Care!

At one time I heard and used that expression repeatedly.  I rarely use or hear it anymore.

Everyday expressions are the phrases that people often use when they communicate.  It seems there are those expressions that are generation specific.  Some of the words and expressions currently in vogue include: Perfect....Awesone… Gothcha....

Then there are the typical everyday phrases such as “Have a good day!  (although that seems to be falling out of favor, or "Have a good one!"

But I still have not heard  TAKE CARE!  (How could I have used that expression for such a long time, and only now realize that I have stopped using it?)  Hmmm…. interesting question.

On a side note…I’ve been having computer problems again.  Seems that my back up computer, which is about 6 years old is having difficulty with some of the new software we have been using for the Teaching of Talking Training Course.

Since my wife Malka was shopping for a new dress yesterday, I thought it would be fun while waiting to stop in the Apple Store, and peruse the latest computers and technology.  My older computer has been having trouble “keeping up.”

The salesperson inquired for my reason visiting the store.  I told her that I was an author and needed a computer for many tasks and my old one was wearing out.  She inquired as to what I wrote about and I informed her that my topic was speaking difficulties and that my audience was caregivers, loved ones and therapists.

After minutes of conversation she inquired:  Do you know what’s most important for the caregiver to know?

I found it odd that she would ask me that type of question.  After deliberating for a few moments I replied with a short soliloquy pertaining to speaking and communication.

She pointed out that she was surprised at my answer, and remarked.  I thought you would have said something else!

She went on to tell me about her family’s experience with caregiving, and then concluded:

The most important thing a Caregiver should keep in mind is to take care of her/himself, and never ever let caregiving come before ones personal needs for rest, and physical-mental well being.

I stood there and contemplated her comments, and then realized she was right!  I knew that, but I didn’t know that!

And so, since yesterday the words TAKE CARE are resonating throughout my total being.  I am going to re-institute those words it into my vocabulary, writings and LIFE!

You know why?

All of us need to remember that!  Caregivers, loved ones, therapists, and all people, wherever you may be!

Don’t work too long, or too hard.  Take care of yourself.  Take care of your body, your mind, and your health.  Simultaneously take care of those you love and deal with on a daily basis.

And if you know I’m talking to you, and you are aware of personal concerns about your own well being:  STOP. LOOK. LISTEN. Take out a piece of paper; start a journal, and write about YOU.  Give yourself a personal check up.

Are you happy? Why?

If you are not happy, Why?

What Do You Need?

Do you display any mannerisms or physical concerns that are new?

Are you sleeping well?

If not, why?

What are some of the things you need to do in order to feel better, look better, and be happier with yourself?

Anyway.  Guess What?  Those are the questions I have been asking myself; and I started a journal this morning.  Don’t we think it’s time to take better care of ourselves? WHATCHATHINK?

Take Care,
Mark

Mark A. Ittleman, M.S., CCC/SLP is a speech language pathologist with 43 years of direct clinical experience with those who have complex speaking difficulties.  He is currently traveling the USA by motorhome with his wife and dog Jackie, and sharing The Teaching of Talking Training Course and The Teaching of Talking Method, both designed to teach caregivers and therapists, fun and easy methods to help people learn to talk at home or regain the ability to talk after stroke or aphasia.

What’s so interesting about the approach is that it engages those with speaking difficulties into natural conversation or talking at whatever level he or she happens to be, whether it be in single words, phrases or sentences.  The Teaching of Talking Method helps people recover speaking since it stimulates talking, and teaches caregivers and therapists how to talk and stimulate speaking all through the day, naturally, in everyday speaking situations.  For more information and free reports, reply to: https://beinconversation.leadpages.net/teaching-of-talking-training-course/.

No comments:

Post a Comment