Saturday, May 16, 2015

Craniectomy

Amy Shissler
My Cerebellar Stroke Recovery
May 6, 2015

This post is for my family, friends, anyone that has had a craniectomy and their family and friends.  Something was said to me yesterday that made me realize that I have not been more than abundantly clear about something the way that I thought I have been more than abundantly clear.  I was speaking with someone about how sometimes it hurts when someone touches me in the wrong spot on the back of my neck because of the brain surgery.  She said, “but the surgical area would be healed by now.”  Let me be clear.  The brain surgery that I had is called a Decompressive Craniectomy.  ‘Ectomy’ means removal.  A part of my skull was cut into and REMOVED in order to allow my brain to swell after the stroke.  In some cases when a craniectomy is performed, this piece of bone is put back.  In my case, it was not.  The area of my skull that was cut out was not replaced by the piece of bone that was removed or by anything artificial.  I literally have A.HOLE.IN.MY.SKULL and will have A.HOLE.IN.MY.SKULL until the day I die.  So, it hurts sometimes when pressure is placed there.


Here is a pictorial description
of my surgery….
Here is what the back of my head looked
like when I became conscious again
and woke up after surgery…..



















Sorry if these pictures disturb you but deal with it, I certainly have had to.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment