Saturday, April 04, 2015

Peter's Stroke of Luck, part 3, X-rated, Men Only!!!

Peter Corfield
February 6, 2015

I chose the name of the latest instalment of my book series to try and reach out to more people with a clever title.

It's an important stage in my re-education, possibly yours too if you are male or a female unfortunate enough to need to shave and also unfortunate enough to have had a stroke. I was left hemiplegic paralysed down the left side of my body. I feel lucky that it wasn't worse.
Hemiparesis is weakness of the entire left or right side of the body. Hemiplegia is its most severe form, complete paralysis of half of the body. Hemiparesis and hemiplegia can be caused by different medical conditions, including congenital causes, trauma, tumour, or stroke.
Now, where do I start?

I wanted to produce a book for people who haven't got a great deal of money to join a gym or have physiotherapy or whatever other costly process is recommended. People nowadays don't have much money to spare, especially if the breadwinner cannot work anymore.

Those of you expecting this to be a rude book I am sorry to tell you that you are in for a surprise. The title was all part of my cunning marketing plan. From here on in though I am going to be completely honest. Those that have read the first two books will know my background but for those that don't here it is.

I was a primary school teacher for many years at Hillcrest Primary School in Downham Market, Norfolk. Popular amongst the students and always the active P.E./games teacher. I moved to France to start a new life and this was going well until June 1st 2010. That was the day I had a stroke. I am on medication, I still need an ankle orthosis and during the day I have orthopaedic boots with stirrups to support my ankle. My methods at restoring my life are continually moving forward although sometimes it is painfully slow progression!!

This method of mine hasn't fully worked but I am still positive and have attempted some strange things. I have been a pain to most of my friends and family during this journey particularly my amazing wife Sue.

Firstly I decided I wanted to have a pond in the garden, I enlisted the help of others to dig it. I was insistent I wanted one and I would dig it myself if I had to, even if it meant using a teaspoon!!! I did actually dig a couple of shovel fulls. My sense of humour wasn't affected by my stroke. I never had one!! This has been one of the best things we have done, it has given me an interest and I have found very relaxing to sit and watch the fish.

Getting back to my recovery, every day I go into the bathroom and think to myself "How can I improve today?"

At first I had a chair that I sat on whilst I did my bits and pieces. It was probably a mistake to put an extended magnifying mirror for shaving on it, it made things too easy and if things are too easy you don't progress...

... and see the more synopsis book or the whole book below -->



from Amazon.com
See the whole synopsis of:
and see the version Kindle
from Amazon:

No comments:

Post a Comment