Saturday, April 25, 2015

Canes

Amy Shissler
My Cerebellar Stroke Recovery
October 30, 2012

Did you ever see the show House?  Well my friend Vicki, she’s an occupational therapist, said she has some therapist friends that won’t watch that show because House uses his cane on the wrong side.  I think that’s funny.  I saw this commercial recently for some cane and the commercial showed a guy using the cane on the wrong side.  If you’re trying to sell a product, use it correctly in the commercial.  I used a cane for a while after my stroke – and hated every second of it.  For long-term users of assistive devices you just have to embrace it and learn not to hate it.  Luckily, I don’t have to use a cane anymore.

Here’s how to use a cane correctly……

You hold the cane on the OPPOSITE side of the weaker side.  In my case, my right side is all goofy so I held my cane with my LEFT hand.  The purpose of a cane is to increase your base of support which improves your balance so that you don’t fall.  So at the same time you take a step forward with the BAD leg, the cane, held with the opposite hand, should be advanced forward simultaneously.  When I walked with a cane, I would move the cane forward with my left hand AT THE SAME TIME as when I took a step forward with my right leg.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment