Saturday, April 11, 2015

Caregiver: Caregiving X 2

Diane
The Pink House On The Corner
Sunday, November 23, 2014

So, I knew this was coming, but as always it seems to happen too fast.  Boomer, my beloved, best friend, best buddy, Great Dane/German Shepard/lovable mutt and 12 year companion, recently turned 13 years old. And man, he is showing it.

I had the vet come to our house last month for a check-up, as Boomer is really slowing down and his appetite has been picky/poor. She diagnosed severe arthritis and also neurological problems caused by the arthritis, including loss of sensitivity to his rectum, which is why he sometimes, you know, looses control of his bowels while he is asleep and, of course, the big dog hip dysplasia...

Boomer in his favorite spot on our front porch.
Surgery could correct the hip problem, but the vet thought that would be too risky at his age. And now, it's down to "keep him comfortable" and happy and quality of life issues and take it day by day...

Soooo -- Boomer has been prescribed doggy hydrocodone (WHICH IS A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE! GA! So once again I am on the "try-to-find-this-pain-med" trip, but now for the dog!) and Gabapentin, plus glucosamine supplements (he was on these before) and recommended daily walks (which I have been doing for 12 years, so no problem there). So I am popping pills down this poor dog's throat several times a day... not fun for either of us.

Also, she suggested acupuncture and hydrotherapy.  Oh-kay -- I'm starting with the pharmaceuticals and we'll see how it goes. I guess I might have to put a pool in the back yard at our new house, not only for aqua therapy for Bob but for Boomer!

Also, I bought him a doggie orthopedic bed, which he didn't like at first, but has gotten used to. He needed something as he has so much trouble getting on the couch.

Boomer in his new bed, by the fireside
I hate to say, I know Boomer's time is coming, and it will be heartbreaking, but it's not here yet. He will tell me when it's time. And I'm glad to know that I have a vet who will come to our house to do the heartbreaking deed, if/when needed.

Meanwhile, I will take care of this wonderful dog who has always been there to protect and comfort me.

And, on another note, I am still trying to get this wheelchair order mess straightened out! Basically the medical supply company blames the doc and the doctor's office blames the supply company, but someone somewhere did drop the ball and now we have to go back to the prescribing doctor's office next Tuesday, because they say the wheelchair eval is "too old" and we need a new appointment ---  grrrrrrr-OWL!



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment