Saturday, February 28, 2015

Speechless

Steven H. Cornelius
Music and Stroke
March 13, 2013

This blog recently received a bunch of hits from England. It turns out that four graduate students/speech and language therapists at City University London are doing a project titled, “Blog talk: the impact of aphasia on people’s lives.”

I have mixed feelings on being deservedly selected as one of their subjects.

That said, two days ago I pulled my dictaphone. When I tried to put some music on it, I discovered the flash drive was full.  So, I began erasing old stuff. But not without first listening to it. I came across material dictated while at Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital in the first weeks after my stroke. It was shocking to hear how I struggled to speak.  Many multi-syllable words were landmines. They tended to explode halfway through and required multiple attempts to articulate.  If I tried to say a verb ending in ‘d’ in the past tense (‘tend’ to ‘tended’), the diction was either mush (‘tendehthh’) or expansive (‘tendededed’).

During the past few weeks, I have been visiting with some stroke patients who have lost all speech. I stay and talk as long as they seem interested, and a long as I can think of optimistic things to say.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment