Saturday, February 14, 2015

Pillows

Amy Shissler
My Cerebellar Stroke Recovery
January 25, 2015

When I first started dating my guy friend, he slept with two pillows.  I told him to start sleeping with one pillow, to take one away.  A few days later he texted me from work and said “my neck feels a lot better when I sleep with one pillow.”  I said “Yep.”  Here’s why……

If you read my post on curve reversal – well that’s happening to your neck when you sleep with a bunch of pillows.  Sleeping with multiple pillows puts the cervical spine in all kinds of weird positions, and it’s in these positions for 8ish hours……

The spine REALLY doesn’t like that.  It wants to be in proper alignment when you sleep.  These strange positions that you’re placing your neck in by sleeping with a few pillows then strains the intervertebral discs.  And then… the jelly inside the disc gets moved around, the disc deforms, maybe hits a nerve, and causes pain.  This sounds bad right?  Sleep with only one pillow…. a flat-ish one if possible – especially if you mostly sleep on your back.

Here’s a cool picture….



DISCLAIMER Part One: READ BELOW.
DISCLAIMER Part Two: Don’t you dare listen to me, my brain is all messed up.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment