Saturday, February 07, 2015

Sitting Up

Amy Shissler
My Cerebellar Stroke Recovery
January 13, 2013

I remember waking up in the hospital with a bald head.  That was quite an experience.  I had no idea what happened.  I knew I must have had brain surgery because my head was bald but I had no idea why.  There were all these people surrounding me asking me to do strange things like touch my nose then touch their finger, I had no clue what was happening.  On the second or third day I was awake, my ICU nurse wanted me to sit in a chair.  This is a standard thing, after a surgery you make the patient get used to being upright again by sitting them in a chair.  I didn’t want to do this, it hurt so bad.  I also didn’t want anyone telling me what to do.  I’m a physical therapist, I thought I knew everything I had to do.  Well, turns out I knew very, very little.  Here’s a tip, if someone you love has something awful and traumatic happen to them, just be there and be a loved one, don’t put your 2 cents in – that will infuriate the patient.  Anyway, we were taught some techniques on how to transfer a patient from the lying position to a seated position.  I don’t know how to explain this.  You can watch it here.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment