Saturday, January 10, 2015

Typing Practice

Pamela Hsieh
Rehab Revolution
22 April 2010

For those of you like me who struggle with returning to two-handed typing, a good idea apart from simply typing with both hands whenever you use the computer is to find a good program for the computer made for training people to type in general. I use a program called aTypeTrainer4Mac, which is obviously only for Mac users, but a quick Google search on typing programs will yield plenty of results. I just tested myself on my typing speed, which single-handedly without looking is apparently 77 wpm (words per minute), and bimanually is 24 wpm with looking. Quite a significant difference! I'll have to retest myself in a week or so and track improvements.

I believe with aTypeTrainer4Mac you can set "level" priorities to emphasize your quality and quantity, and you may also copy texts or just type the random series of letters they choose for you. Another nice feature is that it automatically records logs of your sessions.

Mine for today looks like this:

Round & CPM/WPM
  1. 103/20
  2. 116/23
  3. 109/21
  4. 108/21
  5. 122/22
  6. 133/26
  7. 96/19
  8. 109/21
  9. 120/24
10. 129/25

So, a little all over the place. But the nice thing about the randomly generated letters/characters is that they tend to alternate hands, something I've been told is neurologically stimulating (bilateral alternation).

Going to do this once a day for a week to see if it yields results. I'll keep you posted. Good luck to you, too!

To our healing,
Pamela



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment