Saturday, January 24, 2015

My Story :)

Amy
My Cerebellar Stroke Recovery
April 22, 2012

Hi everyone! The story of my stroke begins a little over a year ago.  I was at work as a physical therapist.  I had a very promising career ahead of me as I had just become “Mckenzie certified” after only 4 years of practice.  That’s a big deal in the PT world.  Then everything changed.  I had just arrived at work and I felt/heard something in my neck.  I thought it would go away but it didn’t.  It all happened very fast.  The next thing that happened was my legs stopped working and I collapsed.  Then I got really nauseous and vomited on the floor, several times.  Then I passed out.  Next thing I knew I woke up in the ICU 3 days later.  I had had a massive cerebellar stroke that affected both sides of my brain.  Really it was 2 strokes.  I was 30 years old.  I had a cranial decompression to allow my brain to swell.  So I was bald.  I knew right away – a bald head only means one thing – brain surgery.  I was more upset at the time about losing my hair, I had really nice hair.  :)  I have a lot of deficits.  I have poor balance, an intention tremor, ataxia, and my speech is very messed up. However, I have made a ton of progress in a year because I worked hard.  I refuse to settle for anything less than a full recovery.  I’m doing this blog because it will be therapeutic for me and I want other stroke survivors to know that there is hope if you work hard.  The brain is constantly changing and adapting, even as an adult and it happens forever.  So don’t believe anyone telling you that the way you are in 6 months/a year/2 years is how you’re going to be forever.  That’s malarky!  The reason I named this blog what I did is because there is a lot less information on the internet about cerebellar strokes.  I think this blog will help all stroke survivors but I especially want cerebellar stroke survivors to have this as a resource.  Here’s a good site.  Happy reading!  :)



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment