Saturday, January 10, 2015

Gluteus Maximus

Amy Shissler
My Cerebellar Stroke Recovery
January 1, 2015

Happy New year.  Since 2014 has been called “the year of the rear,” I thought this was appropriate.  I think I’ve written about something like this before but here goes again….Yesterday I had a yoga lesson and was in the cobra position that looks like this(this is called a prone press up in the physical therapy world)….

http://sharingdisana.com/2013/03/01/7-pose-terbaik-yoga-yang-memperkecil-perut/(this site is in a different language and I have no idea what language it is)

So I was in the position and noticed that my butt was clenched.  So I internally rotated my hips.  Ok, here’s what that means and why I did that.  Part of the job of the gluteus maximus, the main butt muscle, is to externally(laterally) rotate the hips.  That means rotating your thigh outward which will point your toes outward.

http://www.mendmeshop.co.uk/muscle/groin-anatomy.php

If you do the opposite, the muscle will be shut off.  If a muscle can’t do all of its actions, it does none of its actions.  So internal(medial) rotation of the hips shuts off the gluteus maximus and since I purposely did the opposite action of what the gluteus maximus is supposed to do, my butt unclenched.  Muscles are very passive aggressive that way.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment