Saturday, December 06, 2014

Strokes and Young People

Amy Shissler
MyCerebellarStrokeRecovery
October 18, 2012

I’m way young to have had this happen.  I’ve heard that A LOT.  That’s like an automatic response from people who first meet me.  I think they just don’t know what else to say so they say “oh my God you’re so young.”  Yeah, I am but I’m not the youngest person to ever have a stroke.  I met a guy who has had 3 strokes starting at the age of ten.  I know of a little girl who had a stroke in utero.  At least I finished my education and started a career before getting sick, these people didn’t really have a chance before their lives were turned upside down.  I think that part of the reason that it took so long to diagnose me was because no one thought it could be a stroke.  That’s no excuse, they should’ve given me an MRI long before they did but that’s part of the reason.  Strokes in young people happen and are on the rise.  This research says that there are more strokes in young people because of increasing rates of obesity, diabetes, and high cholesterol.  I didn’t have any of these, sometimes s*** just happens.  :(  One doctor told my family “sometimes 30 year-olds just have strokes.”  Umm, ok.  I live in a city with the best doctors in the world – that’s not a good explanation.  I have a patent foramen ovale (hole in the heart) but the most current research says this doesn’t increase stroke risk when it was long thought that it did.  There is more research coming out soon on this subject, so we’ll see.

Related articles:




See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment