Saturday, December 20, 2014

FAQ (from Rocky Mountain Stroke Survivor)

Robin
Rocky Mountain Stroke Survivor
February 3, 2013

Whose feet are in the banner picture?  Those are my son’s.  He was standing on tiptoe to see a “digger.”  The old banner picture showed my husband’s feet.  The rest of that picture shows him carrying our son on his back while hiking up near Guanella Pass.  The current background photo is of real clouds in a Colorado sky…as seen through the lens of my husband’s camera from our front porch.  The previous background photo showed trees at night and a single lighted window at Robert’s Cabin up in South Park.

Where do you live?  I live in Colorado, south of Denver.  I love Colorado and am so glad I get to do my stroke recovery here!

How old are you?  Aren’t you too young to have a stroke? I was 31 years old when I had my strokes.  They were due to a Vertebral Artery Dissection (VAD), a tear in my right vertebral artery, which then sent clots into my cerebellum.

Is that a mini-stroke? Well, technically there is no such thing as a mini stroke.  Usually people are referring to a TIA (transient ischemic attack).  By definition a TIA has symptoms that resolve in 24 hours.  My symptoms are ongoing.  My strokes were small and thankfully only affected my balance, coordination, and energy level (and occasionally names and word finding).  But as my sister said, when you’re talking about something as important as the brain, if you didn’t have a massive stroke yourself, you’re not allowed to brush off mine as “small.”  :-)

Are you really a doctor? Yes.  I’m a family physician and I have continued to practice medicine after my stroke, just in a different setting that suites me better now.  NOTHING on this website is medical advice.  I’m just writing about my own personal experiences.

I messaged you but I haven’t heard back…  I’m sorry, that’s entirely possible.  I’m trying to juggle work and home just like most moms and am constantly dropping balls.  Please don’t take it personally.  I usually don’t reply to my mom either.  More distant family have to check with people who live close by to find out if I’m still alive.



See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment