Saturday, December 13, 2014

NDT

Amy Shissler
MyCerebellarStrokeRecovery
December 6, 2014

Neurodevelopmental treatment is a certification you can get as a physical therapist that a whole lot of people use when treating stroke patients.  I don’t agree with the approach.  NDT is all about inhibiting improper movements. If you get trained in NDT, the basic premise – I think, I’m not trained in NDT so I can’t say for sure – is that if you allow the bad movements it will lead to even more bad movements.  Nope.  I think that you need to let your movements be weird and then try to gain more control over them and make them better.  If you don’t let the movements be all weird, how on earth will they get better?  Just inhibiting the weird movement from the get-go will not work.  I had a stroke – I know what I’m talking about.  I’m a physical therapist – I know what I’m talking about.

Peter G. Levine also knows what he’s talking about……

NDT

This goes for emotional crap too.  Don’t fight it, it’s ok.  Let the bad feelings be there and acknowledge them.  You’ll be shocked at how much pressure is taken off your shoulders once you say to yourself “well I feel like shit and that’s ok, I’m not gonna pretend everything is hunky-dory when it’s so, so, so, so, so, so not.  Moving all weird is ok and feeling like crap is ok.













See the original article:
in

No comments:

Post a Comment